My personal cravings:
love – i crave the feeling of being loved… of being unconditionally cared about. i crave love from friends. i crave simple, innocent love.
hugs – holy crap… when you move away from all of your friends you lose physical contact with them… you’d never know how much a simple hug from a friend means until you’ve gone a month without one.. or two. i crave hugs from my best friends.
success – i crave to be successful. being sick and tired all of the time leaves me feeling like a failure. as silly as it seems, i crave being graded, being recognized for my hard work. being successful. i crave accomplishments. i crave progress. i crave success.
purpose – i crave being needed, i crave purpose. i want to be put to work. i want to be used. i crave a life that i’m doing good for others. i crave a feeling of fulfillment. i crave purpose.
goals – my goals have disintegrated. i crave goals. i crave looking forward to something. i crave working for something. my goals right now include: wake up, put mascara on, make sure my hair isn’t a complete mess, eat food and maybe write or take pictures. i crave goals that are bigger than myself.
relationships – i crave being close to people. i crave socializing. i crave having relationships. i crave my relationships from MN. i crave new relationships. i crave relationships with people i shouldn’t have given up on. i crave those memories. i crave conversation and connection. i crave relationships that have potential.
home – i crave Minnesota. i crave familiarity. i crave friends. i crave my childhood. i crave the Target i visited weekly. i crave the Starbucks employees who knew my order. i crave the highway system so simple i took for granted. i crave what i knew. i crave what didn’t confuse me. i crave what i understood.
GOD – I CRAVE A BETTER RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD. I CRAVE A STRONGER FAITH. I CRAVE A BETTER LOVE. I CRAVE GRACE. I CRAVE TO BE CLOSER TO MY FATHER. I CRAVE TO KNOW HIM BETTER. I CRAVE TO SEE LIKE HIM. I CRAVE TO LOVE LIKE HIM. I CRAVE TO LIVE LIKE JESUS. I CRAVE FORGIVENESS AND MERCY.
So.. I look at that list of cravings and the reasoning behind each craving. It makes me sad that I crave those things. It makes me sad because I know, in my heart, and in my mind, that through Christ, I do not need to feel those cravings. I know that I am filled with the Holy Spirit, I am loved beyond human knowledge, I have a purpose, I have success in an
arms reach, I have relationships through Christ, I have home wherever I am with Jesus, I have goals for my faith. I know that no matter what happens in my world, God’s world is just that much bigger. His world will provide for my cravings, and He will provide excess for my cravings. In God’s world, the only thing I should be craving is Him.
However, NEW FLASH TO EVERYONE... I am NOT perfect. I will make mistakes, I will crave things, I will get caught up in the stuff that probably does not matter in God’s world. But, SECOND NEWS FLASH… if I continue to crave a better relationship with God, I am that much closer to the only perfect thing in this universe – God.
2 Important Points:
- Some may think I’m crazy for not writing a list of foods that I’m craving.
- Yeah, food is great. But, life is so much bigger than food and we often dismiss our cravings for a better life. We chalk them up to be natural. We think it’s normal. We just say, “Oh, God will forgive me.” YEAH, He’ll forgive you, but you aren’t bettering yourself by ignoring your mistakes.
- Learn from your mistakes… weren’t you taught that as a child?
- You also may think that those cravings are what life is made of.
- YES, YOU ARE RIGHT! Being successful, having relationships, being loved, having a purpose, making goals, wanting to feel at home. Yeah, those are great things that we all long for and some may actually have. However, to crave those things is honestly kind of silly.
- If you read the paragraph above this, you read that as long as I know Jesus and I have faith in God, I will attain those things through my faith. I will receive the love and success that God plans for me. I will realize my purpose as long as I keep my eyes on God. I will be fulfilled in whatever way God intends as long as I let him lead me.
- Why the heck did she write that list in all lower-case????
- It’s my way of showing how insignificant those cravings are. Except for the last one… hence why the last one is in ALL CAPS.
So, moral of the story, we all crave to be better, we all crave food. We all have our own unique cravings. We have human cravings. That’s just having a brain and emotions. We have cravings that sometimes do not even make sense.
*Insert sarcastic tone* THAT’S GREAT!
However, just remember that the ultimate craving, the only craving that truly matters is the craving we have for Jesus, for God, for our faith.
“Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, ‘If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture said, streams of living water will flow from him.’” (John 7:37)
I think Jesus is talking about bigger things than actual liquid. He means ANYTHING in life, you are welcome to Jesus, and he will provide.
***If you need some help finding proof that God will fulfill your cravings.. just pick up the bible. For real though… the people in that book talk about God fulfilling their cravings ALL THE TIME.
For now, I will rest and be calm.
“She is tossed by the waves, but does not sink.”
P.S. I have a feeling there will be a ‘Personal Cravings Part 2’ in the near future!